lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Rodrigo Reyes" <re...@charabia.net>
Subject Re: Normalization
Date Tue, 12 Mar 2002 22:23:46 GMT
Hi !

> My unsolicited two ? cents:

Ok, I raise to four EUR cents :-)

> So... might there be a compromise?  Is there a way of indicating the type
of
> Analyzer used to create an index and requiring that a compatible Analyzer
be
> used for searches without requiring the exact same Analyzer?  I had
thought
> that maybe compatible Analyzers could implement the same empty interface,
> but that would be difficult to do with Analyzers created from rules,
> wouldn't it?  I'm curious to hear what you folks think.

 Well, seems to me that having the analyzer serialized and stored in the
index is a nice solution: being stored with the index, the natural way to
get the analyzer of an index would be to call an "indexreader.getAnalyzer()"
method.

This cannot prevent the developers from using another analyzer, but would
provide a method to easely use the original index. I also guess that the
developers that want to change their default analyser would probably come in
the userlist to complain about a missing "indexwriter.setAnalyzer()" method,
which would give the opportunity to explain why this is a bad idea. Quite
educational, if you ask me :-)

Rodrigo