lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Murzaku" <murz...@earthlink.net>
Subject RE: Normalization
Date Wed, 13 Mar 2002 21:33:55 GMT

Just my two lipas.

Alex

-----Original Message-----
From: Rodrigo Reyes [mailto:reyes@charabia.net]
Sent: Wednesday, March 13, 2002 2:02 PM
To: Lucene Developers List
Subject: Re: Normalization

Hi Alex,

> Would it make sense to allow a full regex in the matching part? Could
> use regex or oromatcher packages. Don't know how that would affect
> your hashing though...

 I'd give an answer not really different than Brian's : you don't really
need all that power. Although I don't have significant experience with
non-european languages, this is not the first tool of the kind I write,
and to my knowledge you don't really need more power than that. At
least, not the kind of additional expressiveness that can be provided by
regexps (although, as I mentionned in another mail, you may need
restriction on the size of the string input or output, for example
soundex specifies a 4-letter limitation that is not currently addressed
by the language).

However, I'd be very interested in hearing about counter-example that
would need. The only counter-example I could find was the annoyance of
having to remove sequences of the same letter, which was unnice, so I
added an option called "uniquify" to do the job more easely (as you can
see in the soundex or french normalizer).

Rodrigo