lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark Tucker" <MTuc...@infoimage.com>
Subject RE: Proposal for Lucene / new component
Date Mon, 11 Feb 2002 16:52:34 GMT
We need to be able to run the code on two separate machines.  One would be a "Catalog Build"
machine and the other a "Search" machine.  The first would crawl documents and build an index.
 The index would then be moved to the "Search" machine.  All searching would then be unaffected
by the crawling/indexing process.  It would be great to have a feature where the current index
and new index could reside side-by-side on the "Search" machine.  Current searchers would
use the current index while new searchers would use the new index.  Eventually the session
for all current users would end and the new index would, in essence, become the current index.
 The previously current index could then be overwritten the next time the index is rebuilt.

Mark

-----Original Message-----
From: Halácsy Péter [mailto:halacsy.peter@axelero.com]
Sent: Sunday, February 10, 2002 2:48 AM
To: Lucene Developers List
Subject: RE: Proposal for Lucene / new component

Hello,
I've read you proposal (and all email related to it). One thing I'd like to advise is to distinguish
the crawler and the loader component.
The crawler is responsible for gathering documents from several sources.
The loader (or indexer) is responsible for loading the gathered documents to the index (I
think in batch mode).

I think it's redundant to hardcode the indexing logic into all crawler component (ftp, http,
jdbc, filesys crawler). It's an interesting question how the components can communicate? (don't
you think using avalon is a good way?)

We are running a country wide search engine (not based on Lucene, it's a commercial application)
and the crawler (http) is running on one machine and the loader (and the query server) on
other machine. As the crawler and the loader uses files as communication interface we can
add (delete) documents to the index manually.

peter