lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Carlson <carl...@bookandhammer.com>
Subject Re: Status of proximity in query language
Date Mon, 18 Feb 2002 18:53:23 GMT
Hi,
Thanks for the feedback on why the NEAR operator was not yet incorporated. I
didn't understand all the issues for not using the NEAR operator. For my
purposes, I am fine with these limitations and describe them in the search
documentation.

However, as a potential solution, what do people think about a multi-level
slop functionality? That is having the slop really be an array of distances
between terms.

So "foo bar" NEAR3 "unga bunga" would be translated into

Foo within 1 of bar within 3 of unga within 1 of bunga.

This would become a single phrase query, but the "slop" would be variable
between each word.

One potential problem with this is dealing with the boost factor across
different phrase queries may be different. Also, this would be interesting
trying to make this work with Term highlighting.

>From a quickly reading over the code (please verify this), I think that this
would be possible by creating (or potentially modifying) a new
MultiSloppyPhraseScorer.java based on SloppyPhraseScorer.java.

If people think this is on the right path, I will try to get it working.

--Peter