lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <DCutt...@grandcentral.com>
Subject RE: Status of proximity in query language
Date Mon, 18 Feb 2002 20:50:52 GMT
> From: Brian Goetz [mailto:brian@quiotix.com]
>
> We'd need to elevate the concept of 'slop' up the query
> hierarchy so you
> could apply slop to arbitrary queries.  Doug, is that practical?

Not without substantially revising the search code.

And I'm not sure how this could be done efficiently.  Consider something
like:
  ((a AND b) OR (c AND d)) NEAR20 ((e AND f) OR (g AND h))
when there are lots of occurences of all of these terms in a document.  The
conditions for a match are clear, but how can one find a match using an
inverted index without evaluating all combinations of occurrences?  Perhaps
there's way...

Doug