lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Manfred Schäfer <mschae...@bouncy.com>
Subject Re: Proposal for Lucene / new component
Date Tue, 26 Feb 2002 19:08:39 GMT
Hi,

Kelvin Tan wrote:

> I guess adopting Avalon is more of a way-of-life (or style of coding) than
> it is a mere design decision, and I guess it's not something that I'm
> totally prepared for yet. Maybe its because I haven't designed sufficiently
> large/complex systems to appreciate the benefits it (and AOP) provides...:-)

I'm not very familiar with it also. I guess the use of avalon (or something
similar) pays back on 1. very generic systems with many configuration
possibilities (as i consider it for lucene;-) ) and on 2. very very complex
systems. But nevertheless one could use it as source of inspiration. I'm with
andrew, that the documentation is quite behind the system (also the source
documentation is often empty in excalibur). It's quite astonishing that
avalon/excalibur is not very much used outside jakarta. The only main reference,
often cited, is cocoon. My conclusion is, that many people are not yet totally
prepared for it. I also think, that 'separation of concerns' is the way to the
future, but the process is still in an early stage.

regards,

Manfred