lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Dmitry Serebrennikov <dmit...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-lucene/src/java/org/apache/lucene/analysi s/standard StandardAnalyzer.java
Date Thu, 21 Feb 2002 23:19:15 GMT
Doug Cutting wrote:

>>  - Added a few more words to the stop word list (MS'
>>contribution via Alan).
>>

>I don't think we should do that here.  This could break any application
>which is already using this stop list when it upgrades Lucene, since it will
>no longer be possible to search for these words.  What we need is a facility
>to load stop lists from file-based resources, and to include a new such
>resource that contains this MS stop list.  But I don't think we should
>change the default stop lists.  What do others think?  Is that too
>conservative?

Sounds good. The real issue is making it easy to use custom stop lists,
not making Lucene compatible with today's flavor of some other search
engine. Besides, isn't there already a constructor that takes an array
of stop words? File reading stuff would be good, but I don't think we
have to have it before the release. Is that too conservative? :)

Dmitry