lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Dmitry Serebrennikov <>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-lucene/src/java/org/apache/lucene/analysi s/standard
Date Thu, 21 Feb 2002 23:19:15 GMT
Doug Cutting wrote:

>>  - Added a few more words to the stop word list (MS'
>>contribution via Alan).
>I don't think we should do that here.  This could break any application
>which is already using this stop list when it upgrades Lucene, since it will
>no longer be possible to search for these words.  What we need is a facility
>to load stop lists from file-based resources, and to include a new such
>resource that contains this MS stop list.  But I don't think we should
>change the default stop lists.  What do others think?  Is that too
Sounds good. The real issue is making it easy to use custom stop lists,
not making Lucene compatible with today's flavor of some other search
engine. Besides, isn't there already a constructor that takes an array
of stop words? File reading stuff would be good, but I don't think we
have to have it before the release. Is that too conservative? :)

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message