lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Manfred Schäfer <mschae...@bouncy.com>
Subject Re: Proposal for Lucene / new component
Date Thu, 14 Feb 2002 11:42:44 GMT
Hi,

> I think it's redundant to hardcode the indexing logic into all crawler component (ftp,
http, jdbc, filesys crawler). It's an interesting question how the components can communicate?
(don't you think using avalon is a good way?)

I've just had a look at avalon, and it looks promising.

As i've written before, i am thinking of three different component types: sources, transformators
and indexer(Lucene). I thought a little bit about a flexible way for configuration of the
indexing procedure and it seems that there could be many many ways for combining sources,
transformers and Lucene. What do you think about
using a blackboard design pattern: Sources are producing records into a central repostitory.
Transformator are registering for records with a  special signature and are getting these
records for transformation. Finally, if nobody wants to transform a record anymore, it is
delivered to lucene.

btw: it would be nice, if indexing could be in sync with the indexed data. If files were deleted,
the index entries should also been deleted.

regards,

manfred