lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Goetz <br...@quiotix.com>
Subject Re: Release criteria
Date Tue, 19 Feb 2002 15:56:54 GMT
> I know that we are on RC5, but changes are still being made to add features.
> Features I want in, but I think it would be nice to have Lucene be released
> and then start the next round of changes.

This is a problem that plagues nearly all open-source projects.

A reasonable methodology would be to create a branch when a release is
'feature complete', and then apply bug fixes in that branch until the
release is ready, at which point changes can be merged to the main
line.  Then we can continue to add features in the mainline without
regard to the status of the release candidate.  However, CVS doesn't
make this easy, and someone has to take responsibility to be the
"branch and release admin."

Another methodology would be to have a "code freeze", but this rarely
works unless the freeze period is quite short.