lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Goetz <br...@quiotix.com>
Subject Re: Status of proximity in query language
Date Sat, 16 Feb 2002 18:15:17 GMT
> I propose that we use the foo near# bar method.

The problem with this is that PhraseQuery only can combine terms.
So while
 "foo bar" NEAR "unga bunga"
might parse, Lucene can't turn this into a phrase query.

Similarly, what do you plan to do with
  foo NEAR5 bar NEAR10 glop
?

(If it were as easy as adding a NEAR operator, we'd have had one a
long time ago.)

Since NEAR really is a modify on the phrase query, it seems like some
sort of syntax attached to the existing double-quote syntax makes more
sense, unless you think you can extend the slop-phrase concept to
allow for arbitrary queries as components.