lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodne...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Proposal for Lucene
Date Thu, 07 Feb 2002 16:08:43 GMT
Hello,

I like constructive proposals :)
I think this is a fine idea and the part about different document
handlers has already been mentioned on this list.  I think it would be
nice to have easy to use specific applications of Lucene, such as a
htDig-like crawler/indexer/searcher components, but I believe it would
be much better to keep those applications separate.  For instance, they
could be a part of the distribution, but kept separately (separate jar,
separate documentation, separate java packages, separate CVS
module...).

Also, while we can work on creating such specific applications, they
will be limited.  It will be hard to make them work for everyone (is
everyone saying 'of course' now?).  For example, the current
HTTPIndexer section is pretty slim: what about handling dynamically
generating contents, limiting crawling to a specific host, or domain,
or subdirectories, delay between requests, etc.  There are lots of
options there.  Would the aim of that particular piece be to be as
generic as possible and cover as many options as the author can think
of and can implement?

Those are my initial thoughts.

Otis