lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Nelson Minar <nel...@monkey.org>
Subject Re: Proposal for Lucene
Date Thu, 07 Feb 2002 14:52:26 GMT
>This is just a few thoughts about Lucene.  Please send me your feedback,
>critiques and thought.
>http://www.trilug.org/~acoliver/luceneplan.html

Interesting and well written! If I read this proposal correctly, what
you're saying is "make Lucene more into an application, rather than
just an indexing library".

I *like* that Lucene doesn't have a spider, or a file tree walker, etc
etc. It's conceptual simplicity. I agree it'd be useful to have easy
applications built with Lucene, but should it be done as part of
Lucene itself or as a separate project?

In either event I think it's important to preserve Lucene's current
library interfaces. If the primary interface into Lucene were via the
proposed Indexer classes, I think Lucene would lose something.

                                                     nelson@monkey.org
.       .      .     .    .   .  . . http://www.media.mit.edu/~nelson/