lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew C. Oliver" <acoli...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Proposal for Lucene
Date Tue, 26 Feb 2002 13:02:11 GMT
On Tue, 2002-02-26 at 05:41, Manfred Schäfer wrote:
> Hi,
>

> > > 2: (I've rewritten some of the code from 1 for that, so this is much cleaner)
> > > customer needs a tool for importing local mini-Websites on the file-system
via
> > > an applet, send it to the Web-Server and import it as described in point 1.
I've
> > > tried to write it in a way, that it could include the functionality of point
1
> > > (retrieving vie http), but that is mostly untested.
> > > [com.synformation.script.utilities.fileimport]
> > >
> > My brain didn't parse that..
>
> com.synformation.script.utilities.fileimport is about crawling html pages on a remote
> server (the process is on the remote server), packing all crawled files up and sending
> it via http to the server, which is processing it further. Maybe thats also not clear
> enough, but that is not necessary: All you have to know is, that it is a kind of
> refactored version for com.synformation.script.utilities.httpimport.

now I get it.

> > If you're able to donate it (legally) I kinda think there is a lot
> > here.  It of course needs to be refactored to meet some of the
> > objectives we've outlined, but a darn good starting point IMHO!
> >

> Tell me what i've to do, to donate it. Is copying the apache license into every file
> enough ? It has little dependencies from some other classes, but that are always very
> little util methods, so i can remove it and add a little sample how to use it.
> btw: I've seen, that avalon/excalibut/phoenix has also a crawler component (just the
> case you want to compare).

Naw, you just have to own the code, I can use a little PERL script to
put the header (did I say that...duck...I'm so embarrassed).  Basically
I'm just saying "Can you legally donate this, copywright wise, etc.?
Are you willing to donate this?"  If your boss, for instance, owns the
code the the answer would be no, yes.  And that wouldn't work ;-)

-Andy

> regards,
>
> manfred
>

> --