lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew C. Oliver" <acoli...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Proposal for Lucene / new component
Date Sun, 24 Feb 2002 16:55:32 GMT
I completely agree, thats a really cool idea..  Not sure we should do
that in our first iteration though.  (Start small and then grow)..  Of
course if we get the basics down quickly then that only makes sense as
the logical next step.  A completely distributed indexing system would
be awesome.

On Mon, 2002-02-11 at 11:52, Mark Tucker wrote:
> We need to be able to run the code on two separate machines.  One would be a "Catalog
Build" machine and the other a "Search" machine.  The first would crawl documents and build
an index.  The index would then be moved to the "Search" machine.  All searching would then
be unaffected by the crawling/indexing process.  It would be great to have a feature where
the current index and new index could reside side-by-side on the "Search" machine.  Current
searchers would use the current index while new searchers would use the new index.  Eventually
the session for all current users would end and the new index would, in essence, become the
current index.  The previously current index could then be overwritten the next time the index
is rebuilt.

> Mark

to distinguish the crawler and the loader component.
> The crawler is responsible for gathering documents from several sources.
> The loader (or indexer) is responsible for loading the gathered documents to the index
(I think in batch mode).

> I think it's redundant to hardcode the indexing logic into all crawler component (ftp,
http, jdbc, filesys crawler). It's an interesting question how the components can communicate?
(don't you think using avalon is a good way?)

> We are running a country wide search engine (not based on Lucene, it's a commercial application)
and the crawler (http) is running on one machine and the loader (and the query server) on
other machine. As the crawler and the loader uses files as communication interface we can
add (delete) documents to the index manually.

> peter

http://www.superlinksoftware.com
http://jakarta.apache.org - port of Excel/Word/OLE 2 Compound Document
                            format to java