lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew C. Oliver" <acoli...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Proposal for Lucene / new component
Date Sun, 24 Feb 2002 16:49:26 GMT
I totally agree.  I'm just having trouble figuring out how to express
that and the design of that.  Can you perhaps patch the proposal and add
this idea?  I think you're totally right!

On Sun, 2002-02-10 at 04:47, Halácsy Péter wrote:
> Hello,
> I've read you proposal (and all email related to it). One thing I'd like to advise is
to distinguish the crawler and the loader component.
> The crawler is responsible for gathering documents from several sources.
> The loader (or indexer) is responsible for loading the gathered documents to the index
(I think in batch mode).

> I think it's redundant to hardcode the indexing logic into all crawler component (ftp,
http, jdbc, filesys crawler). It's an interesting question how the components can communicate?
(don't you think using avalon is a good way?)

> We are running a country wide search engine (not based on Lucene, it's a commercial application)
and the crawler (http) is running on one machine and the loader (and the query server) on
other machine. As the crawler and the loader uses files as communication interface we can
add (delete) documents to the index manually.

> peter

http://www.superlinksoftware.com
http://jakarta.apache.org - port of Excel/Word/OLE 2 Compound Document
                            format to java