lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew C. Oliver" <acoli...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Proposal for Lucene
Date Sat, 09 Feb 2002 17:52:07 GMT
Hi All,

I just wanted to apologize for not responding to all of your feedback.
I have read it.  I rushed to get this proposal done before I leave this
week, despite unexpectedly working late a few nights at my new job.  I'm
leaving for Boston tomorrow and will return in a week.  I'll go over all
the messages, test them against the proposal and update it with all of
the great ideas.  (I may have limited access to the Internet, hence the
delay)

When I get back I'll submit two things:

* The revised proposal and
* A first iteration implementation plan

I'm a firm believer in iterative development, and the feature set as
I've outlined it is probably more then I'd want to try and do in one
swoop.  Moreover, I don't want to do any more of this myself then I have
to ;-) so its great if I can put stubs out there and have others submit
the rest.

As far as keeping Lucene an API.  That is my every intention.  This is
new stuff to be added to Lucene as part of the project but in seperate
packages.  As for creating another project for this..that sounds
counter-productive...secondly, the bar on jakarta for creating new
projects is pretty dern high and I don't think splitting the Lucene
community into really smart people like Doug and people like me who just
want to add high level stuff to add to usability is productive.

What I'm going to propose in the plan for our first iteration will be a
limited set of classes and interfaces for starting this.  These will be
limited in scope and will keep the full feature set in mind, but not
implement it.  The whole idea behind this is that it lets us have
several crawlers, etc not just one so everyone can contribute to the
effort.

In the first iteration implementation plan (some of this may be just
in-lined patches), I'll propose an ant target or two, some packages,
etc.

In revising the existing proposal, there is no need to wait for me.  I
put the XML sources for the proposal at the same url as the html
generated version.  Just submit patches to it (diff -u original.xml
new.xml) to this list.  (http://www.trilug.org/~acoliver/luceneplan.xml)
I realize the xml is slightly incompatible to the Lucene doc build (it
uses Cocoon instead of anakia).  I'll be happy to convert it (mostly
make the <link> tags into <a> tags) when I get back (or if someone else
wants to thats fine) and we can add it to the Lucene docs provided
that's agreeable to everyone.  I've also included a tarball version of
my personal website which is nothing more than an ant-based docbuild
that we use for POI and the three webpages (including the lucene plan)
with some supporting images.  Its about 5.6mb but for those inclined you
can download it at (http://www.trilug.org/~acoliver/personal.tar.bz2).
The targets are cleandocs and docs.  (you can use clean but it will make
generation take longer)

Once again, thanks for all of the feedback.  I'll submit the revised
proposal when I get back next Saturday and we'll round us out a nice
set of new features.  I highly recommend everyone tear at htDig.
They've done a great job of providing general functionality.  They also
DO in fact have an API as part of the project in addition to the
"application".  It's a nice piece of software...albeit a pain to install
and I think Lucene will exceed it all around once we add these features.

I look forward to working with you all on this functionality.

Thanks,

Andy
--
www.superlinksoftware.com