lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Erik Hatcher" <li...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: JavaCC.zip
Date Tue, 12 Feb 2002 21:37:54 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "acoliver" <acoliver@nc.rr.com>

> I don't know that user.home is the most appropriate place to put it.  I'm
> going to submit a patch for consideration when I get home (after Saturday)
> to eliminate the ant.properties file all together in favor of including
the
> properties in build.xml itself.  This seems to be more standard these
days.

Big +1 (not that my vote counts)

If you need any Ant "best practices" guidance I'd be happy to help out.  I
was cringing when tweaking the Lucene build.xml and build.properties.
build.properties should not be there by default, and added if a user needs
to customize something.  Only build.xml should be needed to build a system.
Many projects include a build.properties.sample file that documents settings
that can be changed and such - so perhaps just put all the properties into
build.xml, comment out ("#") the properties in build.properties (so they
aren't enabled by default) and then rename it to build.properties.sample.

    Erik