lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Kelvin Tan" <kel...@relevanz.com>
Subject Re: Proposal for Lucene / new component
Date Tue, 26 Feb 2002 10:35:42 GMT
Pls see inline reply.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Manfred Schäfer" <mschaefer@bouncy.com>
To: "Lucene Developers List" <lucene-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, February 26, 2002 7:23 PM
Subject: Re: Proposal for Lucene / new component

> Hi,
>
> "Andrew C. Oliver" wrote:
>

> > I'm trying to learn enough about avalon to do this.  I'm having a hard
> > time of it.  After I read the conceptual documentation and see a couple
> > of code samples I'm like "now what?"  I need a "hello avalon" tutorial
> > to help me.. . U/f I can't write one (chicken and the egg kind of
> > thing).  I still am having trouble figuring out how to do something like
> > this via ant or even if ant is the right tool..  (I mean I love it for
> > builds but for this??) MAybe I have a mind block :-)
>
> Ok. I have a few deficienies in my personality: I'm reading texts of other
people mostly superficial, writing mails to forums, bevor i'm really
completed with thinking and some more, which i will tell you later.
> Ant could be used for writing configurable indexing engines, but that
smells little bit like misuse of ant, you're right for that.
> I've also had a look at avalon last week: To me it seems like the
standardization of the meta pattern [interfaces, factories, proxies, managed
objects, etc..]. Exactly the same kind of coding, which shines through
kelvins code. So avalon itself is merely a collection of interfaces,
Abstractfactories etc. It is surely a starting
> point for architectural considerations, but doesn't deliver anything more
(kind of academical).

Personally, I'm not altogether comfortable with Aspect-Oriented Programming
(though I've been told I'd better, because it's the "future of
programming"). I guess it just doesn't seem quite as intuitive and natural
as OOP. And Avalon has a pretty huge emphasis on AOP. In fact, one might say
it is the programmatic manifestation of an AOP-based component framework
(based on my limited understanding of it).

I guess adopting Avalon is more of a way-of-life (or style of coding) than
it is a mere design decision, and I guess it's not something that I'm
totally prepared for yet. Maybe its because I haven't designed sufficiently
large/complex systems to appreciate the benefits it (and AOP) provides...:-)

Regards,
Kelvin