lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Kelvin Tan" <kel...@relevanz.com>
Subject Re: Proposal for Lucene
Date Sat, 09 Feb 2002 14:13:20 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: Andrew C. Oliver <acoliver@apache.org>
To: Lucene Developers List <lucene-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Saturday, February 09, 2002 8:57 PM
Subject: Re: Proposal for Lucene

[snip]

> > 5. There's a JDBCDatasource for indexing a table from databases (the
table
> > stores metadata of the file to index. There should still be some way to
> > obtain the file to index. This ties back to 3.). I really ought to
provide
> > an example on how to use it...
> >

> What's that good for...?  Wouldn't one just create an index on the
> database?

you can do that, but IMHO, that's not a very unified way of searching, since
there are now 2 indexes on which to search. What if the data resides on more
than one database? On different databases? What I tried to do was basically
have Lucene handle _all_ indexing and searching...

I can definitely see the pros of having the database index the data though,
just didn't think it was very clean.

Regards,