lucene-dev mailing list archives

From acoliver <acoli...@nc.rr.com>
Subject Re: RE: Proposal for Lucene
Date Thu, 07 Feb 2002 22:39:03 GMT
>On Thu, 7 Feb 2002 09:09:44 -0800 Doug Cutting <DCutting@grandcentral.com>
wrote.
>I think this is a great idea.  Lucene badly needs this sort of high-level
>interface.
>
>As far as other folks' concern about keeping Lucene a library and not
making
>it an application, I agree, but I also assumed that's what you meant to do.
>All of this can be layered on top of the existing API.

You assumed correctly.  I apparently poorly worded that.

>The only change to the existing API that you propose is possibly making
>Document an extensible class, which might be feasable, but I'd like to see
>more detailed proposal before I signed off on that.

I'll one up you on that.  I'll send you the proposed patches.  I did this on
my local machine before mentioning that..  I tested it and performance
tested it.  I'll send you the proposed patches (unforunately, I'll have to
be a tease and send them next week when I get back from boston unless I get
to it tomorrow)..  I'll detail how you would use the abstraction instead of
this "document factory" deal.

What I actually did was make Lucene library files call it "AbstractDocument"
and moved much of what is in Document to AbstractDocument, then made
Document final and reference AbstractDocument.
The samples ran fine, there seemed to be no impact on performance.