lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Ogren, Philip V." <Ogren.Phi...@mayo.edu>
Subject RE: Getting Started (first draft comments)
Date Thu, 24 Jan 2002 21:06:56 GMT

Good points.  Well said.
I was being tongue-in-cheek.
I consider myself a 'user' who just listens in.
Sorry to make this conversation any longer than it needs to be.

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian Goetz [mailto:brian@quiotix.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 24, 2002 3:04 PM
To: Lucene Developers List
Subject: Re: Getting Started (first draft comments)

> Yes.  I didn't think of that.  A 'Guide for Developing on the Lucene
> Project' would be an excellent resource.  However, we would most certainly
> shorten it to the GDLP and then quickly forget what it stands for.  :)  I
> would stick with 'Developer's guide' and let 'users' be temporarily
> confused.

I really hope this was tongue-in-cheek.

1.  There are more users than developers.
2.  We were all once users too.
3.  We're probably better able to deal with weirdly-named documents in our
    project than the users are.

I think that things should be named so that they make more sense to
the users, not to us.  How about finding a better solution?  (I
suggested "Maintainers Guide" in an earlier e-mail, which avoids the
ambiguous D-word.)