lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Ogren, Philip V." <Ogren.Phi...@mayo.edu>
Subject Getting Started (first draft comments)
Date Thu, 24 Jan 2002 20:09:21 GMT

First, I'd like to say thanks to those putting the 'getting started'
documentation together.  Bravo!

I know one of the first things I wanted to do the first time I checked out
the Lucene java code was to re-build it all.  Being an ignoramus when it
comes to ant and javacc I quickly gave up and moved on to learning how to
implement/integrate the package.

While it may not be appropriate to have as the first section of the getting
started tutorial, I would very much like to have this information available.
Maybe a disclaimer of some sort would be sufficient so that newbies can skip
it without worry.

$.02,

Philip

-----Original Message-----
From: Doug Cutting [mailto:DCutting@grandcentral.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 24, 2002 11:02 AM
To: 'Lucene Developers List'
Subject: RE: first draft

Wow, this looks great!

Some quick comments:

1. I'm not sure we need to tell folks how to build Lucene here.  Shouldn't
they download a compiled release and just use the jar file there?  The demo
classes are also provided pre-compiled.  So ant and javacc should not be
required for the demos.  Of course, once you start changing things you'll
need ant, but you shouldn't need javacc nor should you need to recompile
Lucene itself.  Now that JavaCC has been removed from Lucene's lib directory
(for legal reasons) this is more important.