lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <DCutt...@grandcentral.com>
Subject RE: release 1.2 RC3
Date Mon, 28 Jan 2002 00:49:06 GMT
> From: Andrew C. Oliver [mailto:acoliver@apache.org]
>
> Lets create separate targets for building the javacc stuff like this:
>
> cleancc - cleans just the javacc stuff
> allclean - clean + cleancc
> javacc   - does the javacc stuff
>
> we'll include pre-compiled (or whatever one calls it) javacc'd stuff.
>
> I think this will prevent a lot of "THE BUILD IS BROKEN!!!!"
> messages on both lists ;-)

It would change the messages, but I'm not sure it would eliminate them.
Most lucene users shouldn't need to compile things.  And when they do, some
of the most frequently changed things are JavaCC-based, like the query
parser and the standard tokenizer.

Folks are presented a clear message if they download the source release and
try to build it without also downloading JavaCC.  The JavaCC-generated
source code is packaged with the source release, for those folks who don't
want to build with ant.

This situation should improve in the next release.  The folks who own JavaCC
have agreed to grant us a special license to re-distribute the jar, but they
haven't yet had time to work out the details.

Doug