lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <>
Subject RE: first draft
Date Thu, 24 Jan 2002 17:01:40 GMT
Wow, this looks great!

Some quick comments:

1. I'm not sure we need to tell folks how to build Lucene here.  Shouldn't
they download a compiled release and just use the jar file there?  The demo
classes are also provided pre-compiled.  So ant and javacc should not be
required for the demos.  Of course, once you start changing things you'll
need ant, but you shouldn't need javacc nor should you need to recompile
Lucene itself.  Now that JavaCC has been removed from Lucene's lib directory
(for legal reasons) this is more important.

2. I'd remove the mention of merge factor.  We should also probably remove
this from the demo code.  It's there as a relic of my use of that class for
testing and benchmarking, but most folks should probably just go with the
default--especially in a HelloWorld type example.

3. Should we upgrade the examples to StandardAnalyzer from StopAnalyzer?
One of the most common complaints is that Lucene doesn't index numbers:
that's because most folks start with the demo code which is based on
LetterTokenizer and throws out numbers.

4. Packages: Pre-Apache the example code was in the "demo" package.  With
the move to Apache it was put in org.apache.lucene.  Should it instead go in
a sub-package?

Anyway, none of these are a big deal.  Overall, Bravo! +1.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message