lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <DCutt...@grandcentral.com>
Subject RE: [Help with upcomming submission/RFC] Excel Parser
Date Fri, 18 Jan 2002 17:54:35 GMT
> From: Andrew C. Oliver [mailto:acoliver@nc.rr.com]
>
> I think I'm ready to write the ExcelDocument class for Lucene
> but it is
> not immediately apparent to me where one should package it..?
>  Should it
> just be a "demo" (like HTMLParser)?

The HTMLParser is just a "demo" because it's a hack.  I've always hoped that
someone would do a better version that we could proudly add to a "real"
package.

> Would a "documents" package be
> appropriate?

That, or maybe a sub-package of documents, like:
  org.apache.lucene.documents.microsoft
or
  org.apache.lucene.documents.excel

> Lastly there is the matter of where to put the POI jars.  Any guidance
> you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

In my opinion, if the code will be in Lucene's jar file, then any required
libraries should be in Lucene's lib directory and should be packaged in any
Lucene distribution.  Of course, folks who don't use these classes won't
need the POI libs...  Do folks agree with this policy?  Or do people feel
strongly that anything with external dependencies should be packaged
separately from the Lucene jar?

Doug