lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Goetz <br...@quiotix.com>
Subject Re: release 1.2 RC3
Date Mon, 28 Jan 2002 01:20:58 GMT
On Sun, Jan 27, 2002 at 04:49:06PM -0800, Doug Cutting wrote:
> > From: Andrew C. Oliver [mailto:acoliver@apache.org]
> >
> > Lets create separate targets for building the javacc stuff like this:
> >
> > cleancc - cleans just the javacc stuff
> > allclean - clean + cleancc
> > javacc   - does the javacc stuff
> >
> > we'll include pre-compiled (or whatever one calls it) javacc'd stuff.
> >
> > I think this will prevent a lot of "THE BUILD IS BROKEN!!!!"
> > messages on both lists ;-)

-1 from me.  Seems like the wrong solution.  Exposes too much of the
internals of the build to the user.

Besides, most people don't need the sources; the pre-built JAR is fine
for the vast majority.  If the problem is the error message, make it
clearer.

However, what I've done in other projects is this: include the
generated .java files from JavaCC in the CVS repo, in some other part
of the tree (src/generated), and if JavaCC is not found, copy from
there instead of building them.  That's easy enough to automate, but
its not clear if that solves the problem -- people without JavaCC might
try to change the query parser and wonder why its not building.

I think the people who post "THE BUILD IS BROKEN" are going to do so
anyway; the current message is pretty clear that it can't find JavaCC
and what you have to do to fix it.