lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew C. Oliver" <acoli...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Distributable JAR filename
Date Fri, 25 Jan 2002 11:53:32 GMT
On Fri, 2002-01-25 at 06:53, Erik Hatcher wrote:
> Lucene-dev,
>
> I have a suggestion/request for future distributions of Lucene - could the
> JAR filename be made simply lucene.jar rather than including the full
> version number?  The distribution (.zip/.tar, and the embedded root
> directory name) contain the version number already.
>
> Most Jakarta projects currently do it differently that Lucene's current
> procedure, so I'm not proposing anything unusual.

IMHO They are wrong.

> By naming the JAR with the version, it makes it more difficult to switch to
> using a new version of Lucene because the build procedure has to be updated
> in some way to switch to the new file name.
>
> Are there strong opinions/reasons to not make this adjustment?
>
>     Erik

-1..  Yes..  Think of the situation where you have two unknown versions
of the jar...  It is very easy to cause the java version of DLL hell.
Yet by simply looking at the jar in your classpath or web container you
can see which one to zap or rename to mud.

This doesn't solve the problem but it sure as heck makes it obvious.

-Andy

> --

www.superlinksoftware.com
			- fix java generics!