lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew C. Oliver" <acoli...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Getting Started (first draft comments)
Date Thu, 24 Jan 2002 21:14:11 GMT
On Thu, 2002-01-24 at 16:00, Doug Cutting wrote:
> Currently information on how to build Lucene is in the BUILD.txt file that
> is in CVS and distributed with the source distribution, but not the binary
> distribution.  Is this document inaccurate or inadequate?  Should we improve
> it or replace it?

Its good.  I just think the "for dummies" version is also appropriate in
addition to not instead of.

> In any case, Lucene build instructions and the build.xml should probably not
> be shipped with a binary distribution.  If the example applications end up
> using ant in ways that end users may need (e.g., building the war file) then
> perhaps they should have their own build.xml that is packaged with the
> binary distribution.  Does that sound reasonable?

I'd prefer to distribute the war pre-built.  Its not very big.  I think
the demos should be distributed in source form (as well as binary) even
with the binary though as they're not part of the work product as much
as the documentation (especially the jsps of course).

Eventually I think we might want to make the build more "standardized"
(meaning more like the other jakarta projects), but I think there are
higher priorities for the moment.

-Andy

> Doug
>
> --