lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew C. Oliver" <acoli...@nc.rr.com>
Subject first draft
Date Thu, 24 Jan 2002 00:48:13 GMT
Hi all,

The following urls lead to my first draft of a "Lucene Getting Started"
guide and a "Lucene Template Web Application".  I consider this to be
very rough draftish, but would love some feedback and constructive
criticism.

For your convenience I've put the generated html at this address:

http://www.superlinksoftware.com/lucene/

Click on "getting started" under documentation (the rest is stock or not
even present).

I've also zipped my copy of Lucene as it stands today at this address:

http://www.superlinksoftware.com/lucene/lucenesrcnew.tar.bz2

(use "tar xvIf" or "tar xvjf" depending on your version of tar)

You'll need this if you want to follow along with the tutorial because
it includes the new build targets referenced by the tutorial and the web
application.

I've tried to keep this short and simple while covering the basics.

Once I've gathered all of the information and feedback necessary for
perfecting this guide, I'll refine it and submit the appropriate patches
to the list (or zip the patches and send them to one of the committers).

Following this, my next contribution will be a set of default classes
for achieving location Independence and content handler mapping.  This
will be a "proof of concept" submitted to the community to refine and
consider.

Next, I'll submit a POI::HSSF content handler once the community has
determined the correct method for doing this.

Following this I'll likely contribute a "crawler" for indexing remote
data.

Anyhow...its time for Star Trek.

Thanks in advance,

-Andy