lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew C. Oliver" <acoli...@nc.rr.com>
Subject JDK 1.1 vs 1.2
Date Sun, 20 Jan 2002 19:52:01 GMT
Hi All,

In working on this I can see the decision on POI is made for us.  POI
requires JDK 1.2 or better (for performance with collections and
language encoding reasons) so it will need to be off somewhere in an
"optional" package.

Regarding this, are there any thoughts on when it would make sense to
move to Java 2?  It seems to me that the benefits of using the newer
collections, dumping enumerations for iterators, etc. would
make it worth it.

The only disadvantage, of course, would be a few disenfranchised folks
on obsolescent hardware (probably mostly old Macs).  The normal reason
for sticking with JDK 1.1 doesn't seem to apply which is browser
support, but I see very little application for Lucene in Applets anyhow.

With JDK 1.4 coming out shortly it seems to me to be a reasonable
decision.  (two version behind is quite conservative)

Does anyhow have any thoughts on this?  Could we consider upgrading the
Java 2 collections at least internally?  I would be happy to submit
patches for this.

-Andy
--
www.superlinksoftware.com