lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew C. Oliver" <acoli...@nc.rr.com>
Subject [Help with upcomming submission/RFC] Excel Parser
Date Fri, 18 Jan 2002 01:57:37 GMT
Hi All,

I know some of you from the general@jakarta list.  For those of you I
don't know I'm Andy Oliver, a developer on the POI project.

The POI project seeks to port all of the Microsoft OLE 2 Compound
Document format based file formats to Java.  Its APL.
(http://poi.sourceforge.net)

We've already completed our first iteration of the Excel File format.
We'll begin our port of the Word file format shortly.

I'd like to begin collaborating on adding this functionality to Lucene.
Would this be acceptable (I guess for quite some time I'd gone under the
assumption it would be due to the FAQ mentioning "wouldn't it be nice"
#12)?

I think I'm ready to write the ExcelDocument class for Lucene but it is
not immediately apparent to me where one should package it..?  Should it
just be a "demo" (like HTMLParser)?  Would a "documents" package be
appropriate?

I'd also like to fit it into the current (or upcoming) development
structure.

Lastly there is the matter of where to put the POI jars.  Any guidance
you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

-Andy
--
www.superlinksoftware.com
			- fix java generics!