lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Erik Hatcher" <li...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Distributable JAR filename
Date Fri, 25 Jan 2002 20:17:55 GMT
From: "Paulo Gaspar" <paulo.gaspar@krankikom.de>

> Eric,

Erik - with a "k".

> I do not see why having the version in the name makes upgrading harder.

It doesn't necessarily make it harder - but it seemed out of sync with other
Jakarta projects I'm familiar with although there is a discrepancy among
projects in how they deal with this issue.

No point in belaboring this issue since its been rejected by lucene-dev.

But if anyone cares to address the scenario I posed about Lucene's own build
upgrading to JUnit 3.7 I'd love to hear how you'd do it.

> A developer can always decide to rename the luceneXXXX.jar to lucene.jar
> all the time he upgrades and there is no trouble with configuration
> anymore. The effort to do this is minimal.

What I'm after is a way to pull in a dependency with no manual intervention
such as renaming files, but this is an issue bigger than lucene-dev, and I
apologize for opening this can of worms here.  CJAN and JJAR are efforts to
accomplish this kind of thing and I've seen lots of talk about them on the
general/commons lists.

    Erik