lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <DCutt...@grandcentral.com>
Subject RE: Relevance boosting with the aid of semantic markup
Date Fri, 07 Dec 2001 17:51:49 GMT
> From: Stefano Mazzocchi [mailto:stefano@apache.org]
>
> So, architecturally, it could be added to Lucene by making the
> vector-space generator pluggable (or at least, extensible).
>
> What do you think?

It's not clear to me what this would entail.  For performance, Lucene's
vector model is, in a sense, "compiled into" Lucene's architecture.  For
example, Lucene currently has no explicit representation of a vector.  Some
changes to term weighting or document normalization are easy to make, or
make pluggable, but radical changes to the model might require radical
architectural changes to Lucene.

Can you propose a more general architecture that would still be capable of
high-performance?

Doug