lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Alexander Jesse <alexander.je...@csfs.com>
Subject RE: Contributor Document class repository proposal
Date Wed, 05 Dec 2001 12:32:17 GMT
First: Definitely a good proposal...

> Is that okay?  Is there an important reason that you think these
> contributions should be hosted by Jakarta?
Not everybody has the possibilities to host them themselves...
Especially if there are a few bytes of doc to go with (to make it easier
to decide whether you want it or not).

The other proposal to use a sourceforge-project...The firewall I am
living behind does not allow for cvs-access accross it...

> Of course some contributions should be added directly to Lucene.  I'm
> hesitant to add contributions that require libraries that Lucene is not
> already dependent on, or that are not included in the standard JDK.  But,
> for example, pure JDBC code would be OK since JDBC is part of Java.  (Yes,
> JDBC is only a part of 1.2 and up, and Lucene still runs in 1.1, but JDK 1.2
> or greater is required to compile Lucene and to take advantage of all
> features...)  Similarly, once JDK 1.4 is commonly used, then XML support
> could be added to Lucene.
On the other hand having a JAXP-library around nowadays is almost a fixed thing.
After all, who keeps configuration not in XML today? Important is documenting
which libraries an extension is depending on, and which versions are repoertedly
orking.

> So we should keep an eye out for generally useful, well-written
> contributions that do not require additional libraries as candiates for
> inclusion in Lucene.
every candidate that is widely discussed in the user-mailing-list is a
candidate for inclusion.
Struts always delivers the contributions under the contrib/contribution level
as long as the original author is willing to let it happen... It also makes
it easy to know which version of an extension works with which version of Lucene...

just my 2 cents
Alexander Jesse