lucene-dev mailing list archives

From klic...@ca.ibm.com
Subject Separating translatable strings
Date Thu, 22 Nov 2001 18:19:04 GMT
We are actively pursuing the use of Lucene within the Eclipse platform
(http://www.eclipse.org), initially as the search mechanism for online
help.

One of the things we noticed is that Lucene does not separate its strings
for translation, and in several places writes to the console. In all cases
we've seen, this involves error situations (throwing of exceptions with
message, System.err.println logging) so the user will not typically see
these if all is well. However, in Eclipse, we have generally translated
all strings (error and otherwise) so we were wondering if there was any
work under way/ planned to do the same in Lucene.

We'd be willing to assist/ do the string separation pass and contribute
the changes, but because it is a change that would span the entire Lucene
codebase we are not sure how to contribute something like this. We use an
Eclipse based tool to do string separation in our own code, so we could
take a specific Lucene build through this and contribute it back. Or we
could possibly make the tool available to the Lucene team to make this
change.

In terms of the System.out/ System.err output, Lucene should not be
writing to the console. For example, Eclipse runs without a console so any
such output is lost. It would be nice if the Lucene toolkit allowed the
caller to set a "log handler" that Lucene writes to. The default
implementation (supplied with the Lucene toolkit) could simply write to
System.err. We could replace it to write to our Eclipse platform log
instead.

Any direction you can give us on this would be greatly appreciated ...