lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Christoph Breidert <breid...@sitewaerts.de>
Subject lucene in applet
Date Fri, 23 Nov 2001 18:22:30 GMT
Hi developers,

I posted this mail in the lucene-user list already, but it seems to fit this
list as well.

I´m working on a site-grabber to wich I would like to add offline search
funktionality. I experimented with lucene, and it covers all my needs. I´m
planning to realize the search functionality with an applet.

Problem: I cannot access the index created with lucene from my applet. The
only way to access resources on a remote host (wich could be the file-system
as well) is with a stream.

//Something like this
URL source = new URL(getCodeBase(), "path_to_index");
InputStreamReader(source.openStream()));

>From what I tested lucene I found that the only possibilities to access an
existing index is directly with a 'org.apache.lucene.store.Directory' or a
'java.io.File' or a 'java.lang.String' containing the path to the index.

With this interface it seems not to be possible to acces an index from an
applet.

Has anyone encountered a similar problem, and maybe found a solution for it?

It seems to me that maybe lucene should add this possibility to access an

I would appreciate comments on this.

Thank you,

Christoph Breidert
Software - Development