lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <DCutt...@grandcentral.com>
Subject RE: Contributor Document class repository proposal
Date Fri, 30 Nov 2001 22:33:29 GMT
Peter,

I like the proposal, but I am not sure that Jakarta should host the
contributions.  That starts to imply that they're a part of the Lucene
project, and might be supported by it, etc.

I note that many of the examples you provide are simply pointers to archived
mail messages.  The lucene-user mailing list is archived at:
  http://www.mail-archive.com/lucene-user%40jakarta.apache.org/

The mail archive even stores attachments, e.g.:
  http://www.mail-archive.com/lucene-user%40jakarta.apache.org/msg00319.html

So all it seems to me that we need to do is have someone mail a contribution
to the lucene-user list as an attachment, and then add a pointer from a
Lucene "Resources" page to the message.  If folks want to host contributions
in other places, then they can just mail a link to the maintainer of the
resource page.

Is that okay?  Is there an important reason that you think these
contributions should be hosted by Jakarta?

Of course some contributions should be added directly to Lucene.  I'm
hesitant to add contributions that require libraries that Lucene is not
already dependent on, or that are not included in the standard JDK.  But,
for example, pure JDBC code would be OK since JDBC is part of Java.  (Yes,
JDBC is only a part of 1.2 and up, and Lucene still runs in 1.1, but JDK 1.2
or greater is required to compile Lucene and to take advantage of all
features...)  Similarly, once JDK 1.4 is commonly used, then XML support
could be added to Lucene.

So we should keep an eye out for generally useful, well-written
contributions that do not require additional libraries as candiates for
inclusion in Lucene.

In summary, I am +1 for adding Peter as a Lucene committer for the purposes
of developing and maintaining a 'resources' page.

Doug