lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <DCutt...@grandcentral.com>
Subject RE: QueryParser should now support non-ASCII characters
Date Thu, 01 Nov 2001 22:40:00 GMT
> From: Brian Goetz [mailto:brian@quiotix.com]
>
> My general thoughts on this sort of thing, after having been
> through the
> same process many times in other O/S projects, is that there
> should be a
> mandatory one-month discussion period ("cooling-off period"?)
> before adding
> new syntax to the query language.

Sounds like a good policy.  How should we deal with things that have crept
in?  Accept them provisionally, with the understanding that if a better use
for, e.g., braces, is proposed then the current use is removed?  Grandfather
them, instituting the policy only for new changes?  Or yank them for a
month?

> That said, I wouldn't mind seeing a syntax for modifying the
> slop factor in
> a phrase query ("Lucene" within 10 words of "search") :)

I agree that this is a big hole in the query language.  Any ideas for
syntax?

Doug