lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodne...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Contributor Document class repository proposal
Date Fri, 30 Nov 2001 22:57:18 GMT
I like this idea.  Ant's resource page looks like a good example and
I've used it a number of times, so it does serve a purpose.

I also know that I could use Erik's HTML parsing (JTidy stuff) code
today for a little application that uses Lucene and needs an HTML
parser.
I also like that generic XML -> Lucene Document idea from Mr. Ogren.
My Lucene folder is full of code/attachments that various people sent
to the list, but that never got included into Lucene for one reason or
the other.

I think this Resources area would solve these types of issues.

One thing I would suggest though is to keep pointers to external
projects, and bring them under the Lucene roof only if the project
looks like it is very closely tied to Lucene, does not have too many
additional dependencies, and if the project owner wants to be a part of
Lucene.
I would not enforce/require that.

I have this little application that uses Lucene that I thought may be
an okay contribution to Lucene as a demo, but it requires some
additional libs, so it would just be a pain for new Lucene users to use
it.  So I didn't contribute it yet.
I am already associated with Lucene/Jakarta, so it wouldn't be hard for
me to move this project under Lucene if people asked for it, but for
others that may be too big of a change.

Anyhow, the point is that I don't think that this should be enforced:

> The source of these contributions will be added into the CVS at the
> Apache/jakarta-lucene/contributions  level (to be added).

My 2 liras.
Otis