lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Goetz <br...@quiotix.com>
Subject Re: Memory Usage?
Date Tue, 13 Nov 2001 07:58:14 GMT
> Since this is changing behavior that people are depending on, what about
> creating a new QueryParser called QueryParserSafe that excludes option.
> I don't like the idea of removing functionality with no backward
> compatibility.

I knew this was coming.

I'm sorry, but I have to laugh just a little bit.  The new query
parser has only existed for less than two months -- and people have
built empires based on it?  I'm perfectly willing to debate whether
its a good idea or not to remove the wildcard match syntax from the
query parser, but I think the "backward compatibility" argument is one
of the less compelling arguments against doing so.  Bear in mind that
no one is suggesting removing the functionality from the core -- just
restricting its use to programmatically generated queries.  A strong
argument can be made for not exposing the "don't try this at home"
behavior through an interface that is bound to be used by naive
end-users.