lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Kelvin Tan" <kel...@relevanz.com>
Subject Re: Contributor Document class repository proposal
Date Sat, 01 Dec 2001 02:33:47 GMT
[snip]

http://www.mail-archive.com/lucene-user%40jakarta.apache.org/msg00319.html

> So all it seems to me that we need to do is have someone mail a
contribution
> to the lucene-user list as an attachment, and then add a pointer from a
> Lucene "Resources" page to the message.  If folks want to host
contributions
> in other places, then they can just mail a link to the maintainer of the
> resource page.
>
> Is that okay?  Is there an important reason that you think these
> contributions should be hosted by Jakarta?

How about a SourceForge project? We could have a link from the Lucene
"Resources" page pointing to a SourceForge project page (called say, Lucene
Extensions), and we have the benefit of a CVS respoitory and all the other
benefits of being a SF project...

> Of course some contributions should be added directly to Lucene.  I'm
> hesitant to add contributions that require libraries that Lucene is not
> already dependent on, or that are not included in the standard JDK.  But,
> for example, pure JDBC code would be OK since JDBC is part of Java.  (Yes,
> JDBC is only a part of 1.2 and up, and Lucene still runs in 1.1, but JDK
1.2
> or greater is required to compile Lucene and to take advantage of all
> features...)  Similarly, once JDK 1.4 is commonly used, then XML support
> could be added to Lucene.
>
> So we should keep an eye out for generally useful, well-written
> contributions that do not require additional libraries as candiates for
> inclusion in Lucene.

Totally agreed. We don't want to unnecessarily increase the 3rd-party libs
that need to be downloaded...

Kelvin