lucene-dev mailing list archives

Subject RE: boosting
Date Thu, 18 Oct 2001 19:19:55 GMT
yes i tried that and it works with adjusting the special field boost also.
Its just for adjusting the boost value from "xxx" to "xxx xxx" the changes
in revelancy is not linear for the boost:xxx...I am sure there are still
much that can be done however with that approach...Just needs more tweaking
and experimenting.

I was hoping for a direct numerical approach but from what I see your idea
is the best solution so far.  Thanks for the response!!

-----Original Message-----
From: Dmitry Serebrennikov []
Sent: Thursday, October 18, 2001 12:16 PM
Subject: Re: boosting

One idea I had but did not try yet is to create a special field in the
doc and add optional clauses to queries that match for tokens in that
field. The more matches are found the higher the document should score.
Suppose you have some documents that should have a higher boost than
others. Add a field to all documents called "boost" and for the
documents that should have the boost set the value of the field to "x".
I'm not sure how this would work with the query parser because I don't
use it, but from the API if you were using a boolean query, you would
then add then add a clause that matches "boost:x" as a not-required and
not-prohibited (in other words an optional clause). The theory is that
this would boost the score of the documents that have a match in this
field, but will not exclude those that do not. It might even be possible
to set the "boost" value to "x x" and "x x x" and so on to control the
amount of boost a document will receive.

Can anyone veryfy that this actually works? wrote:

> Lucene has term query boosting for fields.  But does anyone know how
> to do individual Document boosting?  So basically I want to put a
> numerical value into a document and depending on its weight have it be
> more/less revelant than other documents...Its basically mixing
> revelancy search with numerical sorting.....Anyways I just want to
> boost docs.  Thanks.
> -scott

View raw message