lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <DCutt...@grandcentral.com>
Subject RE: Added comments to InputStream and OutputStream
Date Fri, 12 Oct 2001 17:56:47 GMT
> From: Dmitry Serebrennikov [mailto:dmitrys@earthlink.net]
>
> I figured that I might as well be adding comments as I am reading and
> figuring out the code.

These comments are great to have.  The only corrections I have are that
vInt's can take from one to five bytes, and vLongs can take from one to ten
bytes.  The eighth bit indicates that a byte is *not* the last.  Also it's
worth noting that vLong and vInt are inefficient for negative numbers:
they'll always take the maximum number of bytes.  The "v" is for "variable
length", although "c" for "compressed" would probably be better.

Doug