lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Dmitry Serebrennikov <dmit...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: Getting word count
Date Fri, 19 Oct 2001 20:59:59 GMT

>>You cannot simply count the number of times the method
>>collect() is called on your collector because some queries
>>may result in
>>the same document being selected more than once and so you'd
>>end up with
>>a double-count. (Can anyone confirm that this is the case?)
>>

>It should not be the case.  The collect() method should be called at most
>once per document.
>
>Doug

This is a good news! This would make counting that much more efficient.
My main concern was in the BooleanScorer, and I just verified that I was
worried needlessly - it maintains its own hashtable to avoid double
counting. On a related issue, are there any guarantees about the order
of document numbers in the calls to collect()?