lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Dmitry Serebrennikov <dmit...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: cleaned up legacy code in BooleanQuery
Date Wed, 10 Oct 2001 04:01:00 GMT
 From what I can tell, it is because BooleanScorer uses an integer
bitmask to keep track of how a particular document satisfies the
criteria of each clause of the query. Each clause gets a bit. This only
applies to the required and prohibited clauses, so the MultiTermQuery
(and friends) are not effected by this because they use "optional"
clauses (not required and not prohibited).

I think it would be possible to use a BitVector instead, but I'm not
sure what performance implications that would have. Besides, it seems
that even if more than 32 clauses were required, one could always create
two boolean queries and join them with a third one, so I'm not sure how
important it is to remove this limit.