lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Goetz <br...@quiotix.com>
Subject Re: boosting
Date Fri, 19 Oct 2001 19:01:40 GMT
> I think document boosting would be a great feature to add to Lucene.  This
> is the sort of mechanism that, e.g., Google uses to boost documents from
> highly referenced sites.

Rather than making the boost a property of the document, I would
recommend that the boost be a field.  That way, you could have different
boost values for different types of searches.  Consider a database
of books.  One "boost" field could be the sales rank, and another the
price; one search would rank cheaper books higher, and another could
rank more popular books higher, based on the choice of boost field.