lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodne...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: CachingDirectory contribution
Date Mon, 08 Oct 2001 06:52:47 GMT
> This leads me to yet another of my buring questions..
> has anyone pushed Lucene to its limits yet? If so,
> what are they? What happens when Lucene hit its limit?
> Does it throw an exception? coredump?

I haven't done that, but I've been to one job interview a few months
ago in which I mentioned Lucene, after hearing that they were using
Verity.
This company had supposedly tried using Lucene, but according to them
at some point they had hit the wall with it and the performance just
dropped.
I do not know how large their indices were, but I suspect they were
quite large. This company indexes news articles, press releases, et
cetera, and keeps them around for a while (a few months or so).

Otis