lucene-dev mailing list archives

From nel...@monkey.org (Nelson Minar)
Subject RE: CachingDirectory contribution
Date Mon, 08 Oct 2001 18:33:07 GMT
This is great discussion - thanks for explaining some of the limits, Doug.
I always wonder how this sort of email can turn into useful documentation.

>Performance should be more-or-less linear: a two-million document index will
>be almost twice as slow to search as a one-million document index.

Is performance linear in the number of documents? I would naively
think it would be linear in the number of terms. Also, how does
document size change things? Is searching 1 million 100k documents
twice as fast as 1 million 200k documents?

                                                     nelson@monkey.org
.       .      .     .    .   .  . . http://www.media.mit.edu/~nelson/