logging-log4php-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Grobmeier <grobme...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Exceptions
Date Tue, 05 May 2009 07:43:11 GMT
Hi,

> Currently we don't throw any exceptions in log4php, but there's a few places
> where I think it makes sense to throw an exception. In example all
> configurators should yield an exception if something the provided
> configuration is wrong.

you are reading minds. I thought the same when I was under shower this morning.

> Should we introduce exceptions in log4php? If so where do we need it and
> what kinds of exceptions can you think of? I think it's useful to have a
> shared overview of where we want to throw exceptions.

I think too that we should introduce exceptions. Basically I don't
think we need too much exceptions. Next point worth of discussing is
the naming. Imagine: ConfigurationException. This exception could be
used by other people too which makes it difficult to include Log4PHP
till namespaces are introduced. Maybe LogException will do the trick
and I don't think we need much more exceptions since Log4php is so
wonderful lightweight.

Christian