logging-log4php-dev mailing list archives

From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Adding umask/chmod to FileAppender?
Date Wed, 01 Aug 2007 16:37:14 GMT

On Aug 1, 2007, at 2:13 AM, Knut Urdalen wrote:

> Michael Schmitz wrote:
>> I disussed almost the same issue with the log4perl guys as the
>> problem
>> Christian described is actually a major problem in our project. I
>> think it would be a great idea to permit specification of the file
>> mode via the configuration.
>>
> Ok, I have nothing against adding Christian's patch :) Just
> interesting to hear Curt's view on this issue since log4j does not
> have this feature.
>
> Curt: Do you have anything to add?
>
> Knut

I'm subscribed to the list, so you don't need to cc me.

I think the lack of the feature in log4j is due to the lack of a
portable API for setting file permissions in Java.  log4net may have
more access to OS-level features and might have insight here.  I'll
ask them for comments.  I browsed the log4net code and didn't see any
obvious hook for setting file permissions.  The could nest a
<securityContext> element as a child of FileAppender and maybe that
participates.  I don't think log4cxx has anything.